Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Prodigal Summer


Barbara Kingsolver has moved to my list of favorite authors. After reading The Poisonwood Bible, which was a revelation, I acquired several more of her books and was told by friends that I needed to read this one next. I'm so glad I did, because I loved almost everything about this novel, which is so entertaining and educational and thought provoking. As a lifelong bug nut with a fixation on Luna Moths and the ecological web, as well as an obsession with the mountains where the book is set, this would be a great read for me regardless of the strength of the story or skill of the author. Given that it is elegantly and passionately written, skillfully paced and gravid with unforgettable characters, scenes and moments, I am sure to reread this one again, and recommend it to my friends and especially my nature and farming bedeviled family. There is more personal and scientific truth in Prodigal Summer than any book I've read in ages.

I'm holding back on that last half star because I wanted more completion in the story lines, I needed to know what happened to everyone, wanted at least for the book to take me into the first frost, not end so suddenly; and because I saw every twist of the plot coming for the last half of the book. Not that I'm complaining. It was a wonderful diversion, and will stay with me for a very long time.
 )

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Poisonwood Bible and just finished reading and reviewing Flight Behavior. I'm with you on this. Kingsolver is right there amongst my favorite authors. Haven't read this one, but's going on the list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete